Monday, February 6, 2012

A loss

I am a big New England sports fan and have been mourning the Patriots' Super Bowl loss for the last 24 hours or so.  While I love the Pats, I sort of expected it.  They came out of the gate sloppy and had some silly penalties (12 men on the field) called against them.  While this loss was memorable, that in the 2007 Super Bowl was worse.  But nothing can compare to the 2003 ALCS, where my beloved Red Sox played the Yankees.

Let's take a journey back in time, shall we?  Game 7 happened to coincide with my college's Senior Night, aka a bar rented out for us and they drove us back and forth in school buses.  Classy.  I was glued to the TVs over the bar with a plethora of other Yanks and Sox fans.  Since I went to school in PA, there was a strong showing for both teams.  The game went into extra innings and we ordered more beers (duh, we're college students).  Enter 11th inning. Enter Aaron Boone.  Enter walk off home run.

Source
My disbelief was palpable.  I stared at the TV with my mouth agape (catching some flies, if you will).  And then the realization set in.  The season was over and we were going home.  I think I shed a few tears into a pitcher of beer that night.  Never have I been so attached to a team like the 2003 or 2004 Red Sox.  I love those guys.

Do you get super emotional about sports?  Or attached to a specific team?

No comments:

Post a Comment